Information we collect
We may collect personal information and/or sensitive information in the course or our activities and as we manage and operate the site. This mainly happens when:
- You set up an account to use the Site
- You complete quizzes, surveys and other relevant course activities
- You participate in community activities, such as discussion forums and collaborative documents.
When you enrol as a student on our Site or related courses an account is created for you and all your activities on the Site are linked to your account. We’ve detailed the information we collect about you and how we obtain this information below:
- Your name: We require you to provide your name when you register an account with this Site.
- Your email address:We require you to provide an email address when your register an account with this Site.
- Your password: We require you to enter a password when you become a member of the Site.
- Your specific activities on or connected to VicSRC’s online learning suite. These might include resources you have downloaded, quizzes you have completed. When you are signed into this Site, the activities you engage with are automatically associated with your account.
- Any other information you voluntarily submit: VicSRC’s online learning Site provides opportunities to share information to us. For example, we may collect information when respond to surveys or quizzes.
Passive information we collect
Passive information is information that you may not know you give us. This includes:
- Your IP address: Your IP address is a designator that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP): An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you use the Site, along with the time of your visit and the specific page(s) that you visited.
- The name of the browser you use to access learning.vicsrc.edu.au: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device. This includes your computer type, operating system and internet browser type and version. Collecting this information helps us to deliver the best possible version of the Site to you.
- Navigational Data: As you navigate through the Site, certain information including pages visited and pathways will be recorded.
- Information inferred about the topics you care about based on your activities on the Site: If you download certain resources, we may infer that you could be interested in other resources that are categorised in the same way. We may also send you suggestions that are relevant to your age or geographic area.
We collect cookies or similar tracking technologies. This means information that our website’s server transfers to your computer. This information can be used to track your session on our website. Cookies may also be used to customise our website content for you as an individual. If you are using one of the common Internet web browsers, you can set up your browser to either let you know when you receive a cookie or to deny cookie access to your computer.
- We may also use automated tracking methods on our websites, in communications with you, and in our products and services, to measure performance and engagement.
How we use your information
The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information are outlined below.
To Provide, personalise and improve your experience using the Site
The Site is a child safe organisation. We use the information you provide us with to keep you safe.
For business purposes
To communicate with you via emails, notifications or other messages, consistent with any permissions you have communicated to us
We may share your information with third parties, including law enforcement, public or governmental agencies or private litigants, if we determine that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with the law.
We may also retain, preserve or disclose your information if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary or appropriate to prevent any person from harm, to address issues of national security or other issues of public importance, to prevent or detect violations of our Terms of Service or fraud or abuse of staff that operate and manage the Site or members of the Site.
Our courses and site are hosted by Thinkific Labs Inc. They provide us with the online course creation platform that allow us to sell our product/services to you.
Your data is stored through Thinkific’s data storage, database and the general Thinkific application. Data is stored on a secure server behind a firewall – a firewall is a security measure to help prevent data breaches.
If you make a purchase on this site, we use a third party payment processor. Payments are encrypted through the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS). Your purchase transaction data is stored only as long as is necessary to complete your purchase transaction.
All direct payment gateways follow the standards set by PCI-DSS as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council, which is a joint effort of brands like Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.
PCI-DSS requirements help us make sure all credit card information used by our site and courses is handled securely.
For more information, you may also want to read Thinkific’s Terms of Service here:
or Privacy Statement here:
Storage and Security of Personal Information
We will do our best to take all reasonable steps to keep any personal information recorded secure, accurate, up to date, complete and relevant. We have appropriate technical and organisational measures put in place to help protect the security of your personal data.
Your password protects your member account, so we encourage you to use a unique and strong password, limit access to your computer and browser, and log out after using the Site.
If we become aware that there has been unauthorised access to or unauthorised disclosure of personal information, or loss of personal information, that is likely to result in serious harm to any of the individuals whose information is involved, and we are unable to take any remedial action that would make serious harm no longer likely, we will make sure we tell the appropriate authorities and individuals that are affected as we are required to under the law.
Data Retention and Deletion
We will keep your personal information for as long as we need to or as long as we have to depending on why we collected it.
Your personal information is deleted when your account is deleted. You can delete your own account at any time.
Policy Updates and Contacting Us
We may occasionally make changes to this policy.
When we make material changes to this policy, we will provide you with notice either via email or displaying a prominent notice on the Site.
Nina Laitala – Executive Officer
P: 0411 679 050
The Site is overseen by the Victorian Student Representative Council Ltd (VicSRC)